(RADIATOR) How to run two instances of Radiator

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Wed Apr 17 19:34:02 CDT 2002

I have been reading the manual and of course working with Radiator for
awhile.  I've been pretty happy with my config for the most part and
haven't had the urge to change much.  I guess now I have the urge.

What I'd like to do is create two instances of Radiator, one that monitors
the accounting port and one that monitors the authentication port.  I'm
trying to figure out how to split the config file into two config files and
run two instances of Radiator, one on 1645 and one on 1646.

It seems like I'd want to split it up along these lines:

Auth Instance
--------------------
<Clients>- definitions of clients and their secrets
<AuthBy SQL> - authentication against SQL database
<SessionDatabase>

Acct Instance
--------------------
<AuthBy SQL> - accounting into SQL database
<SessionDatabase>

In other words, the SessionDatabase I believe needs to be referenced by
both authentication and accounting instances, but the AuthBy SQL clauses
for accounting and authentication would be split among the two instances.

Can anyone think of anything else I'd need to do?

The motivation for splitting these isn't really just availability.  I've
noticed that in a single instance run of Radiator, that when people in
billing do large queries of the accounting data it hangs the authentication
process.  When I turned on Trace 4 and tail -f'ed the raw Radiator log I
noticed that while a large accounting query is running authentications
would continually time out.  This seemed very weird to me, so I was also
wondering if anyone could think of a reason why MySQL would appear to be
hanging this way?  It seems like the queries to the database would be
pipelined, but I'm no expert on MySQL internals.  Would this behavior go
away if I chose a different database?

Thanks for the tips,
Chris

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au