(RADIATOR) bad perfomance due slow DB??

Rimdenok, Sviatoslav sviatoslav.rimdenok at colt.ch
Wed Apr 17 10:10:12 CDT 2002

  Hello All,

  I've got a question.. We have Radiator on our site that is proxying most
of the auth/acct requests to the remote RADIUS servers. Also we use
PostgreSQL database to keep  the RADONLINE database (for example to see the
amount of the current connected users). That means for each new request from
NASes Radiator updates RADONLINE table and resend (proxies) that request to
remote RADIUS server.

  Usually we receive a reply from remote RADIUS servers in 1 sec(max 2
secs). But 3 days ago we have found that according to the Radiator log, the
delay between sending and receiving the answer was up to 15-20 secs ( I
checked "*** Sending to ...., "*** Receiving from ..." lines with
corresponding Code and Identifier values).
  These remote RADIUS servers belong to different companies, - so I don't
think that suddenly all of them became "very slow". But at the same time we
have seen that PostgreSQL DB was running very slow.

   Here my question comes : how Radiator is working internally? For example,
if the SQL DB backend is very slow - does it block/affect Radiator
performance? My idea is that Radiator was running very slow during
communication with PostgreSQL, perhaps (!? I know nothing about Radiator
internals) it was waiting for finishing operations with DB before proceeding
the RADIUS packets from the socket queue.. Is it possible to check the
amount of packets waiting/staying in the queue?

   Most probably I wrote something wrong above, but I'd appreciate to hear
expert opinion about that case..

   Thank you so much in advance!

   sincerely yours,
   Slava