(RADIATOR) Configuration info for radiator when using mysql

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Fri Apr 12 02:58:53 CDT 2002

Hello Gopi -

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:46, Gopi Krishna wrote:
> Hello Hugh,
> Thank you for your help.
>
> I am not successful in testing the radius with mysql.
> I am new to both Perl and mysql.
> According to the manual,
> 1)I have Active state Perl in my Windows 2000 server system,
> 2)Installed DBI(Installed the Active state PPM package),
> 3)Installed DBM (Installed the Active state PPM package)and
> 4)mysql(3.23.49-win version)

This all sounds fine.

> I created "radius" database in mysql.
> Both radiator and mysql are in the same system.
> When I try to invoke radiator from command prompt I am getting the error
> "Access Denied" which is pasted at the end of this mail.I am giving the
> sql.cfg as the config file for radiator i.e perl radiusd -config_file
> goodies\sql.cfg
> Is it correct???

There are two different things you have to be aware of.

The first is the user and password that is the administrative user that is
allowed to connect to the database. This must be configured in the MySQL
server and is referenced in the Radiator configuration file in the DBUsername
and DBAuth lines.

The second is the contents of the SUBSCRIBERS table that is used to hold the
user definitions for the users that are connecting to your NAS(s). The
contents of the SUBSCRIBERS table needs to be maintained either by your own
applications, or by our Radmin product, or you can use a third party billing
system.

> Our setup is like this.We have devices with radius client  which needs to
> be authenticated by radius server.These users are of the Service-Type =
> Login-User.It is in the standard radius packet format.

Understood.

> I have few doubts:
> 1)How we create the users at mysql database???
>   Just by using Grant command or do we need to enter all the users in
> table?

See above.

> 2)In doc/ref.html :23.3 mentioned:
>

> Use buildsql like this:
>  buildsql -dbsource dbi:mysql:database
>   -dbusername radius -dbauth password
>
> what for this? When I tried at mysql prompt it is giving error.

The buildsql utility is a stand alone program that allows you to load a UNIX
password file, or a standard radius users file into the SUBSCRIBERS table.

Have a look at section 10 in the Radiator 3.0 reference manual.
("doc/ref.html").

> 3)How can we invoke the radiator with  both the configuration file and
> mysql.

The Radiator configuration file contains the relevant information for
connecting to the database in the DBSource, DBUsername and DBAuth statements
in the AuthBy SQL clause.

> 4)what configuration is to be changed if radiator and mysql are in
> different systems.

The DBSource line mentioned above simply needs to include the host to connect
to - something like this:

	dbi:mysql[:database[:hostname[:port]]]

> I created the user radius with password "password" in mysql using grant
> command. I am enclosing the files sql.cfg and mysqlcreate.
> Could you please enlighten me bit datailed about this and correct me.

As mentioned previously, please read through the Radiator reference manual at
least once and have a look at the examples.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au