(RADIATOR) Proxy server client id's

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Tue Sep 18 17:54:32 CDT 2001

Hello Griff -

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 00:53, Griff Hamlin, III wrote:
> Hugh,
>
> In setting up my system with a single radiusd process acting as a proxy
> and other radiusd processes doing the authentication, I have found that
> the proxy server always sends the request to the other servers with the
> client being 127.0.0.1 which is the localhost, instead of the actual
> Client-Id of the request which my backline radius server needs to
> determine NasType information for snmp. How can I have the proxy server
> send that information ?

The source IP address from the proxy server will always be localhost when it
is sending to itself, by definition.

What I would suggest is using the Proxy-State attribute to carry the NasType
in the proxied requests. Don't forget to strip it out of the reply sent to
the NAS however.

Something like this:

# Proxy all requests, handle none
<Handler>
   <AuthBy LOADBALANCE>
      FailureBackoffTime 15
      Secret mysecret
      RetryTimeout 3
      Retries 0

      AddToRequest Login-IP-Host=%c, \
            Proxy-State = %{Client:NasType}
      StripFromReply Proxy-State

      # Hosts to proxy for
      <Host localhost>
         AuthPort 1812
         AcctPort 1813
      </Host>
      <Host localhost>
         AuthPort 1647
         AcctPort 1648
      </Host>
      <Host localhost>
         AuthPort 1649
         AcctPort 1650
      </Host>
   </AuthBy>
</Handler>

You can then use the Proxy-State attribute on the other servers to do
whatever you need to do.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au