(RADIATOR) Clients in handlers?

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Fri Sep 7 19:55:54 CDT 2001

Hello Todd -

On Saturday 08 September 2001 07:04, Todd Dokey wrote:
> Is there a way to make Radiator prefer certain clients?
>
> What I am trying to do is have the handler be identified by a region, in
> this case a city.
>
> Hence the handler for say Los Angeles would then have the NAS clients for
> LA built into it.
>
> I would like it the Los Angeles Radiator server to primarily serve the Los
> Angeles NAS groups,
> and secondarily handle the others.
>
> Can't this be done with an Authby Loadbalance?

Let me try to clarify what happens with radius clients and servers.

NAS clients or NAS groups are radius clients, and send radius requests to a
radius server. Radiator is a radius server and can be configured to accept
radius requests from one of more radius clients.

Further, Radiator can be configured to proxy radius requests to other radius
servers, in which case, Radiator acts as a radius client. The AuthBy RADIUS
clause in Radiator is the radius client code which acts as a radius client
when sending requests to a proxy server.

In addition, there are several load balancing proxy clauses such as AuthBy
LOADBALANCE, AuthBy VOLUMEBALANCE and AuthBy ROUNDROBIN, which can be
configured to send requests to multiple proxy servers. Note that Radiator is
still acting as a radius client in this scenario.

In other words, there are radius requests from NAS clients and NAS groups
coming in to Radiator acting as a server, and there are radius requests sent
by Radiator when acting as a proxy client and sending to a proxy server.

hth

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au