(RADIATOR) Lucent APX and auth-config requests

Viraj Alankar valankar at ifxcorp.com
Wed Sep 5 21:56:15 CDT 2001

Hello,

I recently lost some sleep over a problem with a Ascend/Lucent APX. Maybe
someone else here can advise (or take heed).

One night the APX suddenly started sending authentication requests for
frdlink-*, ipxroute-*, appleroute, and other nonsense. Well in our case
authentication for this RAS just happened to be promiscuous (that is, free
authentication).  This seemed to cause some sort of problem for the RAS,
because it kept sending these requests over and over at about 40 auth
packets/second with these bogus requests.

Now I assumed that the following setting would fix this:

http://www.open.com.au/radiator/faq.html#71

But it didn't. The requests kept coming even after a RAS reboot. What I then
did was deny these bogus requests:

<Handler User-Name = /^((ipx|apple)route|permconn|frdlink)-/>
</Handler>

which stopped them altogether. Then everything was back to normal.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem of the RAS ignoring
the auth-config setting. We are running TAOS 9.0.1 on the RAS.

Thanks,

Viraj.