(RADIATOR) size and scope of session-id

Paulo Rodrigues prodrigues at vianetworks.pt
Sun Sep 2 19:23:21 CDT 2001

Hugh Irvine wrote:

> Hello Paulo -
>
> The session-id's are generated by the NAS equipment, and are not
> limited to 8 bits. What exactly is the problem?
>
> thanks
>
> Hugh
>
> At 18:38 +0100 01/8/31, Paulo Rodrigues wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >This is probably a silly question, but do session-id's get reset to zero
> >or whatever when radiusd is restarted?
> >
> >Also, I would like to know if it is possible in any way to increase the
> >session-id length. It's set at 8 digits, which is not enough, if we wish
> >to make sure every begin has an end and vice-versa.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Paulo
> >
> >--
> >Paulo Rodrigues
> >Professional Services / MIS
> >prodrigues at vianetworks.pt
> >
> >VIA NET.WORKS Portugal
> >http://www.vianetworks.pt
> >local touch global reach

> NB: I am travelling this week, so there may be delays in our correspondence.

> Platypus, Freeside, Interbiller, TACACS+, PAM, external, etc, etc.
> Available on Unix, Linux, FreeBSD, Windows 95/98/2000, NT, MacOS X.

Hello Hugh,

thanks for your quick reply; as you can guess, I don't understand or
know the software or the technology, I just got the job of analyzing the
statistics. I'm trying to make sure all session-id's are unique enough
to be certain they actually refer to the same session. They're currently
8 (hexadecimal) digits wide; I thought they were generated by the
radiusd software, and wondered if in that case, perhaps we could make
them wider. But if they're generated by the NAS, the combination of
NAS/Session-Id/Period where Period is YearMonth for instance, is
probably unique enough to suit me.

My other question is, are the session-ids not reset to zero when the
software restarts, but when the NAS is restarted?

Thanks for your help,

Paulo Rodrigues
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au