(RADIATOR) MD5 Encryption

Mohammad Tawrit tawrit at bttb.net.bd
Wed Oct 24 06:57:15 CDT 2001

Dear Hugh,

I was trying to shift my Authentication from simple flat file i.e. /etc/passwd to SQL on Linux 6. There is no problem with authentication. But the problem I am facing is to give facility to subscribers for changing their password. I have developed a CGI script in PERL that will take the existing password of the subscriber, match it with the stored one and if it matches then it will update the new password.

While matching I had used crypt() function in Linux 5.2 with no problem. But the same is not working with Linux 6.0. In your manual it is written as if the password starts with '$1$' it is MD5 encryption. But I am uncertain about what function should I have to use to convert the given password by subscriber to the encrypted one that I shall match with the stored password in the SQL Database.

Can you help me?

Tawrit