(RADIATOR) how the FailureBackOffTime works?

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Oct 10 22:27:57 CDT 2001

Hello Vi-Thang -

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 22:23, TRUONG, Vi-thang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the clause "<AuthBy RADIUS>", we can use the parameter
> FailureBackoffTime.
> Does anyone use this parameter and can explain me how it works ?

This parameter is available to reduce overhead and latency if a remote radius
server goes down. Instead of retrying every request, Radiator will mark the
server as down and not try to send any more requests to it until the
FailureBackoffTime period has expired.

> I find this in the document:
>
> 6.29.8 FailureBackoffTime
> This optional parameter specifies how long a failed remote server will be
> removed from
> the forwarding list. If no reply is received from a Host (after all the
> Retries have
> expired), it will be marked as failed for FailureBackoffTime seconds. After
> that time has
> expired, it will again be eligible for forwarding. The default is 0, which
> means that the
> host is always regarded as working.
> Caution: with most types of load balancing modules, the default of 0 will
> mean endless
> retransmission of each request until a reply is received.
>
> I want to know what RADIATOR does with this scenario: I use two remote
> server ( a primary and a secondary) and the primary does not reply,
> RADIATOR remove it from the forwarding list during 2 minutes for example
> (FailureBackoffTime=120s) and try the secondary  but the secondary also
> gets down during this time.
> So RADIATOR remove the secondary from the forwarding list during 2 minutes
> also. But what does it do then? there is no remote server in the forwarding
> list. Does it try to check if the primary is up now?

No. Radiator will not try either of the remote servers until the
FailureBackoffTime expires (for whichever server becomes available first).

> Does it also have the same effect when it is using in a clause like <AuthBy
> ROUNDROBIN>, <AuthBy VOLUMEBALANCE>, <AuthBy LOADBALANCE>.

Yes.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au