[ off topic ] Re: (RADIATOR) Shells.

John Coy jcoy at anc.net
Fri Oct 5 10:37:47 CDT 2001

I took a relatively simplistic approach -- I simply created
a table in my Oracle database which contained a field that
corresponded to each field in a UNIX password file.  I then
wrote a script to split the password file on each colon character
and inserted the data into the Oracle database.

I did not modify the operating system to authenticate from
the Oracle database, so on a regular basis I export the SQL-based
password file out into a flat text file and re-construct the
UNIX password file on the machines that need it.  This allows
me to make centralized changes to the SQL password database and have
it flow through to all the other machines.  (If someone knows
how to get the operating system to authenticate directly from the
Oracle database, let me know, it'll save me the step of exporting
the SQL password data to a text file).

I do all of this behind a firewall, of course, and you should
too if you plan on it being secure.

Hope that helps.

John

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au