(RADIATOR) NT Authentication timeouts

Massey, Craig craig.massey at oxygenforbusiness.com
Sun Nov 18 12:58:34 CST 2001

I'm have a low key argument about the source of password lockouts in our VPN
system. There are those who argue that Radiator attempts to authenticate
against the Domain Controller more than once each time some clicks the "Go"
button in SecureRemote, causing account lockouts from fewer retries than the
Domain properties allows for. I don't agree. I've been through the source
code and I can only see Win32::Authenticateuser called once per
authentication request.

My Perl is OK, as in I can decipher anything resembling well written code,
which this is by the way, but I'm not too hot on developing the OO side of
Perl, yet. What I know very little about is the comms side. For all I know
SecureRemote takes several stabs at it for each entry of the password.

So I'm after confirmation that Radiator is only trying the password once per
connection attempt, and, if anyone knows what might cause premature account
lock-outs I'd appreciate the input.

Otherwise I'll have to start debugging Radiator to see how it works, and I
really don't have the time.

Craig Massey
Team Leader - NZ NT/Exchange Administration
Oxygen Business Solutions
Mobile  025 279-5794
Phone + 64 9 633-0626. Fax + 64 9 633-0601
www.oxygenforbusiness.com

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au