(RADIATOR) scalability / performance

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon May 14 20:04:41 CDT 2001

Hello Feite -

> We collect Call-detail records from Voice routers using the radiator and
> store the CDRS in a PostgreSQL database running on a Sun Ultr-60 300Mhz
> with 1 G RAM
>
> I would like to have (roughly) some numbers on how much CDRS such a
> machine can handle per second ?
>
> I did run a
>
>     time radpwtst -iterations 1000
>
> on a P-II 350 with Linux mandrake and the radiator / postgres setup
> (development system)
>
> giving 2000 CDRS (start/stop)  .

Actually this will give 3000 = 1000 auth + 1000 start + 1000 stop.

> Time results:
>
> 12.50user 0.63system 2:10.09elapsed 10%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
> 0maxresident)k
> 0inputs+0outputs (331major+692minor)pagefaults 0swaps

If I read the above correctly, this is 3000 requests in 130 seconds, or about
23 requests per second.

> How  representative is this ?

This is not terribly fast, but is almost entirely due to the database
performance in all likelyhood.

You can achieve *very* different results with different database indexes and
so on, so I would suggest investigating perfomance tuning for your database.

We have published some example figures from our testing in the Radiator
reference manual in section 24.

hth

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au