(RADIATOR) Multiple Servers, centralised logging

John Coy jcoy at anc.net
Fri Jul 20 09:35:31 CDT 2001

Dave,

The system you're describing does have a weakness in file-locking and a
potential for data to be lost.  If both Radius servers attempt to log at
the same time, one set of data will be overwritten by the other.  On a busy
system, this could happen more often than you'd think.

The most efficient way to use two servers and centralized logging is by
setting up a database server to accept logging.  There is good support for
this in Radiator -- reference the manual for more information.

An added advantage of setting up a Database server for logging is you could
also set it up for authentication -- once you do that, you have a
centralized place for updates as well.

We use a single database server and export the authentication data to flat
text files for backup in case the database server fails.

Hope that helps.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au