(RADIATOR) Cisco NAS boxen trouble

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Thu Dec 27 17:49:46 CST 2001

I was having trouble getting Framed-IP-Address to update in the Session
database and couldn't figure out why.  I got the following response from
Cisco and thought I'd post it in case it helps anyone else.

Chris
-----
I see that you are having difficulty with the aaa accounting on PPP
connections.

The problem you describe is the result of ther router sending the accounting
START record BEFORE the IPCP negotiation is complete.

There are two ways to change this.  The recommended way is to tell the
router to send accounting UPDATEs when there is new information.  This will
accomplish what you are after -- getting the Framed-IP-Address sent to the
Radius server.  This is accomplished through this global configuration mode:

  aaa accounting update newinfo

If, however, your accounting software cannot deal with START, UPDATE, and
STOP records, there is another option, though it is officially not
supported:

  aaa accounting delay-start

Either of these should accomplish what you are after

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au