(RADIATOR) (Radiator) Old USR Netservers

Ross Kusler ross at inreach.com
Wed Dec 26 11:15:34 CST 2001

Hey Radiators,

    I've got a collection of USR/3Com and Ascend modems that I need to be able to do Max Sessions on.  When users dial up they randomly hit one of the modems in the pool.  Sometimes a user will dial into a USR, sometimes an Ascend.  I've got everything up and running on the Ascends, and the 3com HyperARCS.  However we've got some old USR Netservers that I can't seem to get working.  Correct me if I am using the wrong terminology - this is the first time I've ever worked with Radius and modems.

    Anyway, I've been trying to use snmp to get the Netservers to return a list of online users.  I know they support snmp to 'some' extent because I can make certain queries.  I've attached a snmpwalk done against one of them, but the MIB is short (less than 600 lines) and doesn't have any users.

I'd rather not use pmwho for security and performance reasons.

For reference:
When I do an snmpget on system.sysDescr.0, I get "U.S. Robotics NETServer Card version 3.8.1"
And another strange thing, when I get a snmpget on system.sysObjectID.0, I get "OID: enterprises.429.2.3".
But I can't do an snmpwalk of enterprises like I can on the Ascends or HyperARCS.

Radiator is an awesome product.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get these modems to work with it, I'd be very appreciative.

Ross Kusler
ross at inreach.com