(RADIATOR) Radiator going down after Oracle SQL Timeout

John Coy jcoy_mlists at anc.net
Sat Dec 15 18:43:16 CST 2001

> Hello Mariano -
>
> What you describe below sounds to me like a problem with the DBD-Oracle
>  module. I would suggest that you try to use the "restartWrapper"
> program that  we provide in the distribution ("goodies/restartWrapper")
> instead of  "supervise" (at least for debugging this problem). The
> restartWrapper program  can be set up with a delay before restarting,
> and it can also be configured  to email a designated email address with
> the exit status and any error  messages that were written to stderr. We
> should then be able to see what is  causing Radiator to die.
>
> regards

Hugh's answer is a good one, although you mentioned you're already using a
daemon-restart tool.

I'm replying because I am running about the same configuration you are --
two RADIUS daemons (one for auth the other for accounting) and using an
Oracle database for the back-end.  Here's my approach for handling the
database being offline.

1) Check to see why your database is offline =)  If it's going down often
enough you might want to spend some time troubleshooting that.  (ok, so
that's obvious, but I thought I'd state it anyhow just in case :-)

2) Export your Oracle password file to a flat-file equivalent on a regular
basis.  My export simulates a traditional UNIX shadow file.

This will allow you to use the <AuthBy GROUP> to chain together a couple of
<AuthBy> clauses.  The first clause will query your SQL server, the second
will query the flat file if the SQL server is unavailable.  An example cut
out of my "auth.cfg" file:

#
# The <AuthBy GROUP> statement allows me to bundle the SQL
# authentication with the UNIX-style authentication in case the
# SQL server is down.  SQL authentication is preferred and takes
# precedence.
#
<AuthBy GROUP>
        Identifier      ANCI-AuthSQLorUNIXPasswd
        AuthByPolicy    ContinueWhileIgnore

        AuthBy          ANCI-AuthSQLPasswd
        AuthBy          UNIX
</AuthBy>

<AuthBy SQL>
        Identifier      ANCI-AuthSQLPasswd

    ... all your SQL auth stuff here ...
</AuthBy>

<AuthBy UNIX>
        Identifier              UNIX
        Filename                /usr/local/etc/shadow
        GroupFilename           /usr/local/etc/group
</Authby>

This gives you a bit of redundancy in case your Oracle database goes
offline.  Be sure your export routine does not clobber the file with empty
data if it cannot read from the database (or else you're back where you
started).

Hope that helps.

John
Arkansas.Net