(RADIATOR) Multiple Accounting Stop Records

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Aug 27 18:42:50 CDT 2001

Hello William -

What you are seeing is NAS retransmissions because the NAS has not received
an Accounting-Response in reply to an Accounting-Request (or possibly a NAS
bug). The radius retransmission timeout on the NAS must be set to 60 seconds
if that is what you are seeing in the log file.

Note that it is pretty simple to recognise the retransmissions simply by the
fact that the Acct-Delay-Time is not 0. In other words, the first
transmission of an accounting packet will have an Acct-Delay-Time of 0, the
second will have an Acct-Delay-Time of whatever the radius retry timeout is
set on the NAS, the third will have an Acct-Delay-Time of twice the radius
retry timeout, etc. etc.

The way to find out what is happening is to check a trace 4 debug from
Radiator to verify that the first accounting packet in the series is indeed
being replied to, and then use your favourite packet sniffer along the
transmission path back to the NAS to verify whether the reply is getting back
to the NAS.

In our experience the vast majority of problems like this are the direct
result of saturated links somewhere in the transmission path that cause
packets to be dropped.

hth

Hugh

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au