(RADIATOR) postcard from Ottawa

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Dec 31 18:09:46 CST 1969

Hello Everyone -

Well - three weeks ago I was in the Persian Gulf where it was 40
degrees every day (and around 30 every night), two weeks ago I was at
home in Melbourne doing the spring planting in my front garden, last
week I was in Stockholm where it was about 0 all the time, and now I am
in Ottawa where it is snowing!

Its been a fairly busy time as you might imagine, but there are
certainly some interesting projects using Radiator in many places all
around the world.

Ottawa is the city in which I grew up, and I am spending a few days
here visiting family. As a city it has certainly changed since I was a
child in the 1950's. Then it was very much a small government town with
not much besides the the Parliament buildings and the civil service.
Since then of course there has been considerable expansion and a great
deal of high-tech industrial development.

The city is still very beautiful, with lovely parks and waterways
within the city, and marvellous forests, lakes and hills providing
tranquil surrounds. In the winter time is is quite common to see people
skating to and from work on the frozen canals, and of course you don't
have to go very far to find very good skiing. I pretty much grew up on
skis and skiing is really the only thing I miss, living as I do in
Australia.

The city has grown tremendously, and what used to be the fringes of the
city where my parents bought their new house in 1956, is of course now
considered to be almost "inner-city". My brother and sisters mostly
live much farther out - my brother's place is still out in the country
(although not for much longer judging by the every farther-reaching
suburbs).

The three major telecommunications companies here are Nortel, Mitel and
Alcatel, and of course there are a myriad of smaller software
companies, consulting firms and high-tech R&D firms. Ottawa attracted
lots of high-tech and service industries during the 80's and 90's with
attractive startup packages, and the city has been transformed as a
result.

Of course the traditional goverment and consular establishments also
contribute an interesting mix of people and activities.

I will be returning to Australia next week, via Los Angeles, where I am
going to play golf for a couple of days with friends.

All things being equal, I should be home next Thursday, so if I miss
any emails between now and then, please resend them towards the end of
the week.

NB: I am travelling this week, so there may be delays in our
correspondence.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au