(RADAR) RADAR without X

Eli Tovbeyn eli at xpert.com
Mon Dec 9 15:13:52 CST 2002

Hi!
I've started to use RADAR recently. Is there a way to run RADAR as a
daemon? If no, then I'm a little bit confused regarding the targets of
this software.

If it's statistics monitor , then why should I run X on in order to
collect statistics? I want to run X only to view it - not to collect the
data.
If it's server availability monitor, then again - why should I run X on
in order to receive mail that my radius is down? And of coarse I
wouldn't run such a software on my desktop - it's server's role. And my
servers never NEVER run X.

In bottom line I think that RADAR should be daemon with GUI. Otherwise
it's loosing a lot of points. Daemon should monitor Radiator's status
and send me an e-mail, not X application. Daemon should collect
statistics while GUI can show the statistics, watch for errors in log
files, but not sending e-mail!

And of coarse another problem : what happens after system restarts at
midnight? No one is logged in into X, no one has started the RADAR. So
my monitoring system is down. Funny.

Again, my letter is written under assumption that RADAR is not a daemon
and can't be run as such.

Your opinions are highly appreciated.

Eli Tovbeyn

===