(CATOOL) Re: CATool evaluation software downloaded

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Thu Sep 6 07:03:18 CDT 2007

Hello Sergei,

It is not necessary to use certificates in order to implement just WPA. You
only need certificates if you are planning to use a TLS based authenticaiton
protocol, such as EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS or PEAP.

If you are using one of these EAP protocol for secure authentication in a
wireless network, then you need to generate a 'server certificate' for each
Radius server. In order to do this you will need to create (and sign) a
Radius server-specific certificate using CATool.

Use the following steps:

1. Log in to CAtool.
2. Make sure your CAtool user has SIGNER responsibility:
 2a Click on User Administration
 2b Modify user catool
 2c Enable Signer checkbox
 2d Enter your password
 2e Click on Save Changes
 2f Click on "return to Main Menu'
3. Create a new certificate request:
 3a Click on 'Submit a new request'
 3b Enter information about the certificate. Make sure you set 'Name of Cert
 Holder' to the DNS name of the radius server
 3c Make sure 'Certificate Type' is set to 'EAP-TLS Server'
 3d Click on Submit
 3e When you see the new cert request, click on 'Download Key', save the key
 to a file. This is the SERVER PRIVATE KEY FILE. It is not password encrypted.
4. Sign the certificate
 4a While still looking at the certificate request page, enter your password
 and click on 'Sign Certificate'
 4b See the new public certificate for the server. IN Cert Action at the
 bottom of the page, Select Format PEM and click on download. Save the file.
 This is the SERVER CERTIFICATE FILE
5. Export the root certificate from CATool:
 5a Click on Main Menu
 5b Click on 'View Directory of Certificates'
 5c Find the 'Root certificagte for CATool, it will be show in italics and
 include the company name. select download format PEM and click on Download.
 Save this file. This is the ROOT CERTIFICATE.
6. Configure Radiator. In the AuthBy clauses that require TLS server
 certificates:
 6a Set EAPTLS_CAFile to the  ROOT CERTIFICATE
 6b Set EAPTLS_CertificateFile to the SERVER CERTIFICATE FILE
 6c Set EAPTLS_CertificateType PEM
 6d EAPTLS_PrivateKeyFile to the SERVER PRIVATE KEY FILE

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

TTLS, PEAP etc on Unix, Windows, MacOS, NetWare etc.

--
Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/catool/
Announcements on catool-announce at open.com.au