(CATOOL) Re: CATool question

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Sun Sep 11 18:11:22 CDT 2005

Hello Bon,

Thanks for your note.

There were a number of changes in OpenSSL 0.9.7e that were incompatible with
earlier versions of CAtool.
There is a faq item covering this, http://www.open.com.au/catool/faq.html#10
which recommends upgrading to OpenSSL 0.9.7g or later and upgrading CAtool to
1.3.5.

OpenSSL 0.9.7e by default generates certificates with large binary serial
numbers. You can see that in the certificate you are trying to import below.
The latest version of CAtool fixes this problem:

Certificate:
        Version: 3 (0x2)
        Serial Number:
            be:0e:06:99:09:cd:f7:2a
        Signature Algorithm: md5WithRSAEncryption

On Sunday 11 September 2005 23:05, Bon sy wrote:
> Mike,
>     	Thanks for the additional information. Would you please take a look on
> the above two attachments and see whether you see anything unusual?

The binary serial number is likely to cause a number of problems.

> 	We specify the above two files in the rebuild of catool in SUSE
> and encounter the following error:
>
> Importing existing Root CA certificate ...
> Argument "./cakey.pem" isn't numeric in numeric gt
> (>) at bin/load_ca_cert line 22.
> bin/load_ca_cert: number certs signed (-n) must be non-zero

Not sure what the problem is without seeing your Defs file, but perhaps:

The IMPORT_CA_CERTS_SIGNED in the Defs needs to be an integer.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/catool/
Announcements on catool-announce at open.com.au