(CATOOL) Re: CATool question

Bon sy bon at bunny.cs.qc.edu
Mon Aug 29 21:25:06 CDT 2005

I am not talking about the CATool root certificate. But rather a root
certificate created from using the CATool, which was set to expire in one
year. See the root certificate in the attachment.

In any event, the issue is not whether the root certificate lasts for 10
years. But the issue is whether the CATool provides a utility to renew the
root certificate that was generated.

In the case of using openssl, I can easily re-create the root certificate
(in our old environment). But I could not find the user interface in
CATool to renewal the root certificate, nor could I re-create it
via the GUI interface ... even if as the last resort we need to re-create
the entire CA structure. So, does it mean that we need to re-install
CATool? This  makes the CATool a less-than-idea commercial product.

Bon