(CATOOL) Re: (RADIATOR-ANNOUNCE) CATool Private Certificate Authority software now available

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Wed Sep 10 18:32:40 CDT 2003

Hello Robert,

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:49 pm, Robert Blayzor wrote:
> On 9/10/03 8:03 AM, "Mike McCauley" <mikem at open.com.au> wrote:
> > CATool uses perl DBD for SQL access, so in principle it could be done,
> > but.... Current implementation is tied closely to mysql. It uses unique
> > mysql syntax during the installation phase for creating database, tables
> > etc. After that the SQL access is pretty generic.
>
> Why sure, it's very generic.  But having direct support out of the box for
> PgSQL makes things a little easier on my end. ;-)  And if something breaks,
> I know who to ask rather than digging through the source to try and
> troubleshoot the problem.  I'm not in a hurry to get this (yet), but looks
> like a very interesting product, and should it support PgSQL, I'll probably
> bug my boss sooner rather than later! ;-)

OK, we will put it on the wish list. I dont think it will be near the top
though.

> BTW-- These certs can be used for mail servers and web browsers as well?

Yes.

> What about browser and clients recognizing them as a "authorized" site?
> (ie: not popping up warning messages all over their screen saying, "cannot
> verify source, etc.)

If yuo are using private certificates like this, you will generally need to
install the CA's root certificate into your browser, so it knows how to
authenticate the server certificate. After that, no complaints.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/catool/
Announcements on catool-announce at open.com.au