[RADIATOR] PEAP and Kerberos?

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Fri Jun 30 14:39:34 UTC 2023

This was discussed off-list too, but I thought I'd do a summary for the
benefit of the list members too.

> We had our FreeIPA configuration implode a while back, so the
> decision was made to switch our Linux servers to using realm and
> sssd for authentication.  No real issues until they switched the
> server that Radiator was running on, which broke wireless
> authentication:
>
> Jun 17 14:01:15 scooby /opt/radiator/radiator/radiusd[42339]: Access
> rejected for adoe2: EAP MSCHAP-V2 Authentication failure

As far as I know, sssd does not support EAP-MSCHAP-V2, or any other
MSCHAP variation.

> The real question -- can I redo my PEAP configuration to work with
> Kerberos?  Looking at the samples in goodies, I see krb5.conf, but it
> contains:
>
> # Works with RADIUS-PAP, TTLS-PAP.

I'd say the only way to do it with Linux is to use AuthBy NTLM running
on a Linux host that has Samba configured as an AD computer.

In other words, neither sssd nor Kerberos support NThash based MSCHAP or
its variants.

Thanks,
Heikki

--