[RADIATOR] <AuthLog SYSLOG> on Windows Server ?

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Nov 14 04:27:26 CST 2013

On 11/13/2013 09:39 PM, Johnson, Neil M wrote:

> Can you specify more than one SYSLOG host to send messages to ?
>
> We would like to send messages to two different servers for redundancy.
>
> I tried adding a second IP address to the LogHost attribute, but it
> doesn't seem to work.

Currently this is not possible. The logger just considers the LogHost
option value as a single name and address and passes it to Sys::Syslog

As an alternative of changing the current behaviour, it is possible to
send the logging messages to local loghost daemon, e.g., syslog-ng,
which then sends to messages to multiple destinations. Advanced syslog
daemons support TCP and TLS secured connections which can be quite useful.

However, their availability for Windows is not clear to me, so I guess
LogHost with support for multiple servers would be your choice?

> For <AuthLog SYSLOG> I just created a second <AuthLog> section with a
> different Identifier pointing at the other server, but that seems kind of
> inelegant.

If you include the logging configuration, this would help with keeping
the main configuration file length under control. But if LogHost is
changed for Log SYSLOG, the change should be very similar to AuthLog
SYSLOG too.

I'll see what we can do.

Thanks,
Heikki