[RADIATOR] ipv6::: bind results in no match on IPv4 client

Mueller, Jason C jason-mueller at uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 27 08:07:18 CDT 2013

Hugh,

> According to section 5.5 in the Radiator 4.11 reference manual ("doc/ref.pdf") you need to specify both ipv6 and ipv4 like this:
>

> BindAddress  ipv6:::, 0.0.0.0

That syntax doesn't work on my system. The issue is not with the binding statement. I am able to receive both IPv4 and IPv6 RADIUS traffic on the system. As pointed out in a previous thread where I had a question about the bind statement, whether or not you need to include the 0.0.0.0 portion is dependent on the IP stack implementation on your system. On the system I am working on, if I add the 0.0.0.0, I will get an error.

Radiator receives the IPv4 requests just find with my binding set to "ipv6:::". In fact, Radiator processes the IPv4 requests using the DEFAULT client stanza, as I indicated.

It seems to me that this is an issue where Radiator does not match on IPv4 client stanzas when specifying a bind of "ipv6:::", which is a legitimate binding statement that results in IPv4 traffic also working.

To summarize again, with my current config, IPv4 traffic works just fine, only the matching for IPv4 clients doesn't work. This seems like a bug in Radiator.

> Hint: Linux also has a special file to control the system wide behaviour: /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only

We have separation of duties here, and I may or may not be able to convince the administrator of the operating system to change this file. By changing this, I could add the 0.0.0.0 parameter to the BindAddress statement, but as indicated above, it is not necessary in order to receive IPv4 traffic. That is already working, and the administrator of the system will likely point that out.

> Hint: In order to support IPV6 address, you must install the Perl Socket6 module.

This is already done, or the IPv6 client would not have worked, and it does.

Any thoughts on why Radiator doesn't match properly?

Thanks.

-Jason