[RADIATOR] iOS5 and untrusted/not verified EAP certificates

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Feb 9 08:55:09 CST 2012

On 02/09/2012 03:08 PM, Mike Puchol wrote:

Hello Mike,

> I'm testing EAP-PEAP with an iPad running iOS5.1, and even though I'm
> using an SSL certificate from Digicert, signed using SHA-1, and Digicert
> being on the list of trusted CAs by iOS (I even checked the serial
> number, which is good), I get the following on the iPad's debug console:

I get the following certificate dialog when joining a WPA-Enterprise
network for the first time:

           Certificate
*cn.from.certificate*    (e.g. radius.example.com)
thawte Primary Root CA

*red*Not Verified*red*     button:Accept

Expires: 27.11.2013 1.59.59

More details >

The root CA is from thawte, as seen above, and Radiator sends full
certificate chain linking the root via the intermediary CAs to
radius.example.com's certificate.

So the root CA is known by iOS, certificate chain is complete and
everything is good. However, it still displays the red 'Not Verified'
and Accept button. Once Accept is chosen, the dialog does not come back
when rejoining the network.

The only way to get rid of all dialogs has been to use the configuration
utility and create a profile.

Note: there was no 'Add certificate', 'bad certificate' or red button.
If you see those, maybe the certifiate chain RADIUS server sends is not
complete. It does display 'Not verified', though, when not configured
with external profile.

Heikki