[RADIATOR] BindAddress question

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Jun 9 06:22:19 CDT 2011

On 06/09/2011 01:56 PM, Dyonisius Visser wrote:
> On 09/06/2011 12:48, Alan Buxey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Could it be the same as other apps, '::' ?
>>>

>>> I have now configured the hard coded addresses as a work aroudn.
>>
>> goodies/ipv6.cfg
>>
>> BindAddress ipv6:::
>>
>> (this is basically saying, use ipv6:  and bind to ::   - like other daemons do)
>

> So this should make it listen for all IPv4 and IPv6:
>
> BindAddress 0.0.0.0,ipv6:::

Try BindAddress ipv6:::

At least on my Linux box, kernel 2.6.34, binding to :: covers both IPv4
and IPv6. If I specify both, IPv6 binding fails apparently because it
tries to bind IPv4 again and since that's not possible anymore, it will
not bind IPv6 either.

> I heard that this might caused problems with Linux kernels?

I do not know about problems, but if I remember correctly there has been
confusion about one socket serving both protocols.

Just noticed Alan's message, too:

BindAddress 0.0.0.0
BindAddress ipv6:::

is the same as
BindAddress ipv6:::

If these are reversed:
BindAddress ipv6:::
BindAddress 0.0.0.0

the net effect is the same as:
BindAddress 0.0.0.0

In other words, BindAddress should be specified only once with all
addresses as a parameter value.

NetWare etc.