[RADIATOR] ServerHTTP

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Tue Oct 12 16:30:07 CDT 2010

Hi Todd,

On Wednesday 13 October 2010 12:12:47 am Smith, Todd wrote:
> I am working on replacing some elderly Steel-Belted RADIUS servers with
> Ubuntu 8.04LTS running Radiator and I am encountering some unusual
> situations.  I don't think that it is a true problem or I would have posted
> a config and trace but it is somewhat surprising.  I expect that you will
> see plenty of postings from me as I try understand and work the new servers
> into our environment.

We will try to help you.
I see you have an email support contract. You may wish to use the support
alias for prompt, private responses.

> Using the <ServerHTTP> clause, is there a limit to the size of the file
> that can be viewed under the View Log link?  A logfile that is 903K can be
> read without any issue but a larger file, like a 10MB file causes the
> entire perl process to stop.  It doesn't produce any core dump or any error
> message, it just drops out of  process space and is not running under ps
> -ef.  If I restart the perl process and radiator, then the <ServerHTTP>
> function restarts and I can log back into the website.

View Log shows the last LogMaxLines messages in an internal ring buffer within
the Radiator process. It doesnt show the contents of the Radiator log file.

The configuration includes the LogMaxLines, defaults to 500. Have you altered
that?

In any case, it sounds like your Radiator is crashing.
Youmight consider running it in the foreground, or under restartWrapper, so
you can see if there is an error message printed on stdout.

> If there is a limit to the logfile size, can you limit the size of a
> logfile being created?

There are no features for rotating/changing log files based on size.

> I am currently rotating the logfile using the date
> % macros in the LogFile directive but the file grows until the date
> changes.  I am still using Trace level 4 which as soon as I am comfortable
> that everything is setup and working correctly then I will reduce it back
> to 0 or 1.

Good idea.

Cheers.