(RADIATOR) DSL Auth setup

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Wed Aug 15 21:14:52 CDT 2007

Adam Armstrong wrote:
> For example, i want to be able to calculate the bandwidth usage for a
> client between the hours of 0800 - 0000, when it's entirely possible
> that their session will stay up for months at a time. I've currently got
> the server kicking out radius accounting updates every 15 minutes, but
> they seem to be rolling updates? is it possible to get a just the amount
> transferred in the last 15 minutes?

This is where SQL is handy.  Having the NAS/LAC send Alive records every
15 minutes seems a bit overkill, but maybe if your network is small
enough...  If you have 10's of thousands of customers, every 15 minutes
would be an insane amount of records.  I think we have them sent every
4-8 hours..

Anyway, the reason the data rolls is because of the 32bit int limit.  If
you're doing some bandwidth calculation, you'll have to check for that
counter rolling...   ie: on an alive record if the previous one was
4,000,000,000 bytes and the next one comes in at 1,503,000, obviously
it's rolled...  So you'd have to take the last sample, get the delta
between it and 2^32 and add the current transfer.

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC
rblayzor at inoc.net
http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/

Life's unfair - but the root password helps!

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au