(RADIATOR) Problem with AuthLog SYSLOG?

Shumon Huque shuque at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Aug 3 23:47:15 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 02:24:37PM +1000, Mike McCauley wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2005 14:19, Mike McCauley wrote:
> > Hello Shumon,
> >
> > Thanks for your note.
> >
> > Tests here with Sol 8 show that the newly patched version of AuthLog
> > SYSLOG, as well as the previous version with 'LogSock inet' will both
> > successfully connect and log to syslogd configured as it comes out of the
> > box.
>
> I should have said that this was with perl 5.8.5 from sunfreeware.
>
> Cheers.

Hi Mike,

I had not doubt that your patched Radiator would work with Sun's
syslogd in it's default configuration (ie. which allows reception
of syslog packets on the UDP socket).

Most of my post was concerning the fact that those Solaris sites
that configure syslogd not to accept messages on internet sockets
would still encounter a problem. And that one solution to that
problem was to use Unix::Syslog instead of perl's Sys::Syslog.

You can test the non networked syslogd configuration by starting
syslogd with the "-t" option, or in Solaris > 9, by inserting
"LOG_FROM_REMOTE=NO" in /etc/default/syslogd. Although, I haven't
tried perl 5.8.5 yet (we are running 5.8.2).

--Shumon.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au