(RADIATOR) Recommendation on Retransmissions?

Claudio Lapidus c_lapidus at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 09:30:59 CDT 2004

Hello all,

>	now the question in ADSL networks where there is no dialup
>involved (speaking from Radius background of 56k dialup) what if i don't
>even use any Retransmissions.

Hmm, here our PPPoE subscriber-side software has a timeout of about 30
seconds, so we must try to get it running in less than that: we configure in
the BAS a 4 seconds timeout with 3 retransmissions (four attempts in total).
If the main server is dead, we have elapsed 16 seconds and we still have
plenty (ahem) of time to get to the backup server with a couple more
attempts.

hth
cl.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au