(RADIATOR) Radiator as NT service

Michael Audet audet at vectorcore.com
Thu Jun 14 05:59:42 CDT 2001

On my Windows 2000 server I am running Radiator as a service using
SRVANY.exe that then launches radiator.  You should be able to find
documenation on how to set things up via SRVANY.exe via the web.

Off the top of my head here is what I did to get it to become a service:

1: Install the windows resource kit
2: Copy SRVANY.exe to your c:\radiator dir
3: Create a .cmd file in the radiator directory that will launch radiator
for you:
For example you might create a file called "Radnow.cmd" and it contains
"c:\perl\bin\perl.exe c:\radiator\radiusd -config_file
c:\radiator\configs\yourconfig.txt"
4: do  " Instsrv radiator c:\radiator\srvany.exe"
that creates a service called radiator on the machine
5: Reg edit  Hkey local machine, system, current control set, services,
radiator
6: Under the radiator key (on the left side of the reg window) create a
folder called "Parameters"
7: click on Parameters, and on the right side of the regedit window you want
to create a new string called "Application"
8:  Edit application and put in the command to launch radiator.  Example:
c:\radiator\radnow.cmd
9: Create another string on the right side called "AppDirectory"
10: edit appdirectory and put in the path to the radiator cmd file.
Example:  c:\radiator

Exit the reg...  Kill any running copies of radiator.
Go to control panel and edit the radiator service settings.
Put a check next to "Interact with desktop"
Launch the Radiator service.

If the service fails to start...  make sure PERL.exe is not running some
place in the background.  Kick up Task Manager and kill Perl.exe if it is.
Then try restarting the service.

If you start the service you should see the radiator window pop up.  If you
kill the window.. the service will still think its started.. so you would
have to stop the service manually.    What does that mean?  Well if you
Telnet into the box and do Net start and see the radiator service is
started.. it doesn't always mean it is.  It could be possible that someone
killed your window on you and windows doesnt know the window is dead.

Good luck.

-Michael Audet
Chubb & Son
maudet at chubb.com